29 Oct 2008

29th October 1988 - the crossing

We arrive at Harwich and join the queue for the boat. But nothing is ever straight-forward. Now I can't find the ticket. How can I have mislaid it? I bought it only three days ago!! It is no use, I have turned the camper upside down (well, it's contents anyway) but there is no sign of the ticket. So it is a case of buy another one, or not go. At the last minute, having exhausted all possibilities yet again, I give in and buy another ticket.

The weather is not suitable for travelling on deck. The rain and mist are disheartening, but what the heck . . we are starting on an adventure! We explore the passenger decks, and I am startled to see someone I know. But I can't for the life of me remember his name, except that he often signed himself Hunky Dory! He was my A-level geography teacher, and at this time of year he brings his 2nd year students on a field trip to the Netherlands to look at the polderlands. I didn't do the trip back then, but I do have all the notes stashed away amongst the books I left at a friend's house. Hunky Dory has a group of students with him now, he doesn't see me - typically he looks straight over my head as he is over a foot taller than I am.

There is not much to see through the portholes - too much rain, mist and wave splash. Sometimes a seabird drifts close enough - storm petrels (photo), guillemots, razorbills and a few gulls.

It's dark when we arrive at the Hook of Holland. We drive slowly off the boat and along the roads out of the port. The campsite is only a few miles north along the coast, but when you've never driven on the wrong (sorry right) side of the road before, it seems to take an eternity.

From now on, everything will be different.

No comments: